Sara is visiting California this week and we're meeting today…
Last night’s Ladies Activity Club party was one of our best so far! Hostess, Victorianna, came up with the idea of making bookmarks and having a book exchange for April. Each guest brought a wrapped copy of one of their favorites and we had a “white elephant” style switch. You would have thought we invented sliced bread with this idea, everyone was so into it. It’s all the fun of a book club but without the reading assignment.
Here’s the list of recommendations from the SF LAC:
- One Thousand White Women – About a controversial “brides for indians” program in the 1870’s.
- Oh the Glory of it All – A scandalous expose of San Francisco high society from Dede Wilsey’s stepson.
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – A story of fate and dysfunction in New York.
- The Time Traveler’s Wife – This book came wrapped with a package of tissues tied to the top, which pretty much says it all.
- East of Eden – A timeless Steinbeck for anyone who lives near Salinas.
- The Handmaiden’s Tale – Set in bleak future where women have few rights.
- One for the Money – Clever stories featuring a female bounty hunter.
- Out of Africa – This was my contribution! I’ve read it probably 15 times.
- The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand’s novel about politics and society.
Everyone left the party inspired to become a full-blown bookworm! You can view all the photos from last night online here.